• March 9Building Futures For Generations

• March 9We Are Sacred Heart

• March 3Learning * Spirit * Service

Can Movies Be Educational?

Cindy Pineda, '17

Whether you are a Superhero movie fanatic, or a romance movie lover, everyone enjoys sitting down and watching a movie. Recently Sacred Heart students and teachers went on a field trip to see the movie Risen. The film is a religious movie about a Roman soldier who is on the hunt to find Jesus’ deceased body, and find out if Jesus was the true Messiah. The Forum asked a few students a teachers about their thoughts on the movie, and here are few comments that were made:

Sophomore Ann Badger believes that “the moments that lead up to the discovery of Jesus being alive was very suspenseful, and it was educational of how Pontius had to deal with the fact they crucified Jesus.”

Religion and math teacher Mr. Tiezzi was fascinated with the movie and said, “It’s a fictionalize. It’s not documented in the Gospel, but it was a good representation of how Jesus got someone to believe in him.” He continued, “He was a Roman, an officer, and if he could be converted (into Christianity) than anyone could.”

Junior Joel Betancourt thinks, “It was an eye opening movie that told the story of an unbelievable man who encounters these believers, and who thrusts into really the most important event in human history.”

A movie like Risen is a prime example that it helped educate some students towards understanding the Christian view about Jesus’ resurrection. This brings the questions can movies educate people? The answer is actually yes it can. Through the years of filmography, there has been many movies produced that educate people such as historically-based film like Imitation Game or 12 Years a SlaveImitation Game  is about an intelligent mathematician named Alan Turning, who is part of the British intelligence agency to crack Nazi codes. In order to pursue his mission, he builds the first computer. 12 Years a Slave takes place a few years before the Civil War, and it is about a free African American named Solomon Northup who lives in upstate New York. The plot tells the story of Northup  getting kidnapped and brought to the South where he has to endure twelve torturous years of being a slave before being freed again. Both movies are based on a true life story and teach people about the history of both War World II and pre- Civil War. If your looking to watch an emotional film with plenty of history and drama, be sure to check out these phenomenal films.

Plenty of other movies, such as The Martian, are science fiction but still contain factual information about science and surviving mars. The Martian is about Mark Watney, whom is assumed dead, has to survive being in Mars with the few supplies he has until his crew come back to rescue him.  Movies can also be fictional but still are able to educate the audience with some factual information and still have an entertaining  sci-fi movie. Other movies have certain agendas like propagandas or a deeper message. A movie like that would be American Sniper, which is about a man by the name Chris Kyle who is in the U.S. Navy and sole mission is to snipe people for the safety of his comrades. The movie demonstrates the cruelty of war and shows the audience a negative view of being in war with Iraq. Movies have the ability for people to learn something new and give us different perspective on history, sci-fi, or even what is going on in our country. Whenever you are watching a film, try seeing if you found out something educational from it or maybe have a new perspective to something.