• March 9Building Futures For Generations

• March 9We Are Sacred Heart

• March 3Learning * Spirit * Service

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

The New SAT

After much publicity, the time has arrived for the premier of the new SAT. When SHHS students pick up their pencils in early May, they will take a redesigned version of test. According to information posted on the College Board website, the new exam will test students on the knowledge that they should learn in class. The new format is intended to equalize the success rate for all students.

Opponents to standardized testing as a measure of academic success claim that students who have access to study materials and tutoring services outperform the students who cannot afford study aids. Another reason for the test redesign is to produce test results that truly measure the knowledge and the skills a test-taker gained in a classroom environment and thus be a better indication of how the student will perform in a college classroom.

What’s changing?

The penalty for guessing is eliminated.

Reading passages are shorter and include historical documents and scientific texts.

Writing skills are tested within reading passages.

The essay response is optional.

Vocabulary is tested in the context of the reading passages (meaning and word choice).

Testers demonstrate core applied reasoning skills in algebra and data analysis.

The time for the test without writing is 3 hours and 50 minutes to provide reading time. The essay is an additional 50 minutes.

The score scale is 400-1600 comprised of area scores from 200-800 both in Math and in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing.

Score reports will include subscores for History and Science.

The new SAT will require students to read well and quickly. In addition, the responses to multiple choice questions will require students to evaluate text evidence. In order to help students build evidence-based reading skills, the faculty at SHHS is now including reading activities in the regular lessons across all disciplines. The teacher and the students work together to read and to analyze the purpose, the audience, and the message in a text. Students are encouraged to identify the author’s argument, to develop an opinion on the issue, and to respond to the argument using text evidence. This practice is only one way that students at SHHS are preparing for the new SAT.

For more information for free practice tests, use this link

http://bit.ly/1Irm1Ob

or scan the QR code below.

SAT Free