• March 9Building Futures For Generations

• March 9We Are Sacred Heart

• March 3Learning * Spirit * Service

Studying Abroad

Alicia Yang, Class of '16

When I first stepped on American soil, I realized that America is a totally different country form China, my homeland. To be honest, I felt more nervous than excited. As a sixteen-year-old girl, away from home and family, I felt helpless for the first time when I arrived at the JFK Airport with two huge suitcases.

Since I was a child, I thought that studying aboard could be a cool experience, but still a big challenge. I struggled to decide if I should study abroad. I asked myself the following questions: “Do you really want to go to a different country and try to study there?” “What difficulties do you think you may face?” “You will have to speak a totally different language every day, instead of speaking the language that you have spoken for the past sixteen years. I thought that I will meet many people that you have never met before, and, I will have to try my best to make friends with them. I will live in a new environment that I do not know at all. More questions arose: Do you think you can adjust to all these things successfully?” One year ago, as a sophomore student in China, I kept asking myself these questions. I really wanted to develop my ability to adjust to different environments and to improve myself by studying in a different country. However, I was not sure that I really wanted to leave my country, my parents and my friends. I asked my parents and my friends for advice, and they suggested that I not to give up this excellent chance to study abroad. With my parents’ support and my friends’ encouragement, I felt more confident. I started to prepare for the school application. I tried my best to improve my English, and I eventually decided to go to Connecticut and to study at Sacred Heart High School. All of my experiences here prove that I made a perfect decision to study at Sacred Heart.