Reading Across America Day 2020

Nicholas Salerno

On March 2, 2020, Sacred Heart’s National Honor Society celebrated Dr. Seuss Day. March 2nd is the birthday of Dr. Seuss. In honor of Dr. Seuss, March 2nd is declared read across America day. On March 2nd: students, teachers, lawyers, doctors, politicians, and religious members spent time at elementary schools reading Dr. Seuss books to children. Sacred Heart’s National Honor Society spent Monday Morning at Maloney Arts Magnet School. Students: Katie, Elizabeth, Julia, Kaylie, Ronnie, Kayla, Emma, Paige, Lihana, Nick, Ashley, and Chris spent an hour reading to students. Sacred Heart’s National Honor Society members received a warm welcome by the faculty and students at Maloney. The students were very excited for the Hearts to read to them. Sacred Heart’s National Honor Society members were able to communicate and to discuss a variety of topics to the students. Sacred Heart’s National Honor Society members encouraged the students to continue to read. Reading is essential for the success of the growth mind set of students. Maloney students enjoyed the stories: The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, and the Lorax, After National Honor Society members were done reading, they were greeted down stairs by Maloney faculty in the library. As a gift, National Honor Society members received a gift bag with Dr. Seuss pens, pencils, notebook, tattoos, and erasers. In addition, Sacred Heart students received refreshments. Maloney’s faculty and students enjoy the yearly attendance of the Sacred Heart’s National Honor Society seniors for reading across America day.