In Memory of Chris Corbett, We Run

Back to Article
Back to Article

In Memory of Chris Corbett, We Run

Raquel Costin, Staff Reporter

Christopher D. Corbett was born to F. David and Betty Quinn Corbett on April 4, 1975. For his education, he attended Blessed Sacrament Grammar School, Holy Cross High School, and the College of Holy Cross in Massachusetts. He earned his Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Boston University and graduated from the FBI National Academy in Quantico, VA. Additionally, Chris worked on the Holy Cross High School Board, the Waterbury Retirement Board, and the Holy Land Board of Directors. He was active in the Lieutenant Robert D. Westberg Scholarship Fund, as well. Chris was also a certified teacher in accident and criminal investigation and the treasurer for the Police Activities League Board. On top of all that, Chris Corbett was a police officer.

Ever since he was four, Chris wished to be a policeman; it was one of the many goals he accomplished. Chris joined the Waterbury Police Department in 1997 and was in the Patrol Division until 2003 when he was reassigned to the Department’s Management Team. The following year he was promoted to the Sergeant rank. He was also the Second-In-Charge of the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) and worked as the Department’s Public Information Officer. Chris was promoted twice again after that: to Lieutenant in 2006, and to Captain in 2010. The job he enjoyed most in the police department was of Officer in Charge of the CIB, which he served in 2010. Lastly, in 2013, Chris was chosen to be the Acting Deputy Police Chief. He fulfilled his lifelong dream of being a police officer, but that was not all he was.

Along with being a successful policeman, Chris Corbett was an award-winning athlete. During his youth, he was part of the cross-country and track teams at his schools. In fact, he was the captain of both in high school. Therefore, in honor of him and his service, the city of Waterbury held the first annual Chris Corbett 5K in 2016, a year after his passing. The race is a tribute to Chris’ passion for running and it helps support the Greater Waterbury Catholic schools, like he once did. This year, on April 6th, hundreds of runners will gather at Holy Cross High School to run. What better way is there to remember the star runner?

On June 11, 2015, Chris Corbett unfortunately passed away. Although he may be gone, he will never be forgotten. He was a genuine soul, a dedicated husband, and a respectful officer. Join many on April 6th to honor and remember the life of Christopher D. Corbett. May he rest in peace.