• March 9Building Futures For Generations

• March 9We Are Sacred Heart

• March 3Learning * Spirit * Service

SHHS Contingency Travels to Join the March for Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nicholas Salerno and Brook Radaskie, Staff Reporters

The March of Life is an annual gathering in Washington, D.C. that began nearly 46 years ago. The March was brought to life after the Supreme Court case, “Wade vs Roe” allowed abortion to be legal in the United States. Since the case, nearly 61 million innocent lives are taken through abortion procedures. Many people, especially members of the Catholic Church, see abortion as an act of murder and believe the law should be prohibited. They use these annual, peaceful marches to demonstrate the values of the Church of respecting every life, born or unborn.

This year, members of the Sacred Heart High School faculty and student body traveled again to Washington D.C. to participate in the 46th March for Life on January 17th, and 18th. Members of this year’s contingency included Father Mauricio Galvis, Ms. DiCarlo, Sister Frances, Mr. Malaspina, Nicholas Salerno, Jefferson Garcia, David Robillard, Melany Bolvin, Brooke Radaskie, Jeferson Garcia, Jasmine Dawkins, and Gisele Garcia.

The trip started bright and early at 6:15 in the on Thursday, January 17th, when the group boarded the bus at the Franciscan Life Center in Meriden. After a quick lunch stop in Delaware, the group arrived at the Hilton hotel in Arlington, Virginia where the participants waited for two hours to check into their rooms. The numbers of attendees for the march surprised all of the students. Later, march participants from the Archdiocese Of Hartford departed for the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception for the Life Mass.  After Mass, the SHHS group walked for a bit for some sight-seeing among the snowflakes and the nation’s capital”s most striking landmarks. For dinner, the group enjoyed burgers and fries (touted as some of the world’s best).

The next day, Sacred Heart students attended a private mass and breakfast along with Archbishop Blair. After breakfast, the marchers and those from the Archdiocese Of Hartford left to go to the National Mall for the official March for Life. As the students and faculty stood on the national mall along with hundreds of thousands of people waiting to make the march, they had the honor to see the First Lady Of the United States and Vice-President, Mike Pence. President Trump arrived and addressed the crowd.  After the welcoming, the two-hour March stretched all the way from the National Mall to the Supreme Court. Upon arriving at the Supreme Court, everyone headed to Union Station to catch the bus and begin the trip back to Connecticut.

The ride home allowed the students and chaperones to reflect on all they had experienced.