• March 9Building Futures For Generations

• March 9We Are Sacred Heart

• March 3Learning * Spirit * Service

Resolved to Argue

Back to Article
Back to Article

Resolved to Argue

Jeferson Garcia, Staff Reporter

The debate 2018/2019 season has officially kicked off and is now in its full-blown course. With just over 25 students, this year’s team is ready to debate! As part of the CDA ( Connecticut Debate Association), the team attends a monthly debate where they face off against other schools in pairs. Usually, over two-hundred high school students show up to debate each other on a topic chosen by the association. The debate team here at the Heart began their season on Saturday, October 13th at Seymour High School. Five teams were chosen to represent the school and they affirmed and negated the resolve on whether Cash Bail should be eliminated or not. Typical debates propose a resolution of an issue that affects both young teens and adults, such as sports vs. arts funding, gun control, etc.

Debating is a really great opportunity to exercise your brain and help expand your knowledge on a variety of topics that affect us as active members in this society. Being part of debate has taught me how to create constructive speeches and extend my senses of hearing and thinking. But don’t just take it from me! Jesse Breidenbach , class of 21′ had this to say about his first few months of debate, “It is a fun and amazing experience. It has really helped improve my vocabulary.” Captain, Elysa Lopez said, “Debate is not just yelling at each other; it requires us to use reasoning skills to develop an argument affirming or negating a resolve and then to modify our argument reacting to the argument offered by the opposition.” Advisor, Mrs. Gemmell would like to add: “Debate allows a student to explore both sides of an issue and, therefore, argue what they believe and what they do not believe. Over time, students develop the ability to rationally see both sides of an issue.” If you are interested in joining the school’s debate team, you can talk to Mrs. Gemmell in the library. The team meets on Monday evenings 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Thursday evening 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.  Joining debate could really influence  your writing skills and enhance your speaking expertise.